This tutorial is aimed at Controllers and Account owners.
First of all, check you've followed "Step 1: get ready to integrate with Xero" tutorial and that you have a "Connect" button showing up in your "Accounting" tab. If not, reach out to our Care team.
Log-in to Xero from Spendesk
In order to connect your Spendesk account to Xero, you first need to log in to Xero via Spendesk.
- Head over to "Settings > Accounting".
- Look for the "Xero integration" section.
- Click on the "Connect to Xero" button.
- If applicable, please choose the correct Xero subsidiary account you want to connect to once you have been redirected back to Spendesk.
- You are then redirected to Xero login page.
- Fill in your credentials.
- Then, please select the organisation you'd like to connect to Spendesk:
- After a few seconds, you should be redirected to Spendesk, in the "Settings > Accounting" page again.
Set up your general accounts
Once you've been redirected to Spendesk, select your account code matching the accounts used on Spendesk:
- Spendesk bank account.
- Bank fees account needed to push payments with foreign exchange rates.
- Bank account to fund Spendesk (usually your main bank).
Check your expense accounts
Thanks to the connection, your expense accounts are automatically pushed to Spendesk.
Refresh your expense accounts from Xero
If you need to edit, create or delete one of them, you have to do it in Xero and then click on "Refresh from Xero" to get the update in Spendesk. The other way round doesn't work.
- If you create a new expense account in Xero, it's created in Spendesk once you refresh the values.
- If you update an existing expense account in Xero, it's updated in Spendesk as well. If you have associated this expense account to some payments in Spendesk, they now have the updated expense account attached.
- If you delete an expense account in Xero, it's deleted in Spendesk. If you've associated this expense account with some payments in Spendesk, they still have this expense account attached, but you are not able to select it anymore for other payments.
Next to it, you see a clock icon. Hover it and you get the last time we have updated your accounts from Xero.
Select the right expense accounts on Spendesk
Once your account is synced with Xero, we display all your expense accounts. You can toggle them on and off if only a couple of them make sense to be on Spendesk.
By doing so, only the ones you flagged as 'active' will be shown and listed down in the app's expense accounts selectors. If you want to show/hide active/all expense accounts, click on the "Hide/Show disabled expense accounts" button on the top-right of the table.
Check your VAT accounts
As for expense accounts, VAT accounts are pushed to Spendesk automatically. You can't make any changes in Spendesk, you have to make them in Xero and click "Refresh from Xero" once ready to sync the new values.
You can also choose to automatically push your VAT information from Spendesk to Xero. If you want to do so, toggle on "Push VAT information". If not, toggle off and you have to manually import your VAT into Xero.
Sync your tracking categories
Ask your Customer Success manager to activate this feature on your account.
You can import and map your Xero tracking categories to your Spendesk custom fields. You can also select values from your Xero tracking categories in Spendesk, and automatically have them attached to your expenses after pushing them to Xero.
Here's a breakdown of all the available options:
- To activate this feature, switch on the "Use this option to sync your tracking categories" toggle.
- Then, you can use the table below to map your Spendesk categories (on the left) to your Xero tracking categories (on the right).
- If you want to allow your employees to create values for these tracking categories in Spendesk, switch on the second "Create new tracking code" option. These new values will then be pushed to Xero.
- In order to re-sync the tracking categories options from Xero, click on the "Refresh from Xero" button.