When you try to pay at an automatic gas station, you may see that a much higher payment may appear under the Payments tab.
You won't be debited for what you didn't pay. The extra amount you see is linked to the specific way automatic petrol pumps deal with a payment:
- When you use your card at an automatic gas station, the merchant always checks that your card is sufficiently loaded with funds. They make an authorization request. Since the machine doesn't know in advance what you will really spend, the authorization is very often much higher than what you will be charged in the end.
- In Spendesk, the authorization appears in real time, in the Payments tab > Pending transactions section.
- The merchant then charges your card with the real amount of your payment.
- In the Payments tab, the payment will appear in the payments of the month section with the correct amount.
- As soon as the authorization expires (which can take up to 30 days, legal time limit granted to the merchant) the funds that were blocked by the merchant are released and back on your account. You'll be notified via e-mail.